Monday, August 1, 2011

Adding to my teacher toolbox

Today I attended my first PD, or professional development meeting.  During my parent's time in the classroom they called them "in-service days".  The certified staff gathers to learn new professional skills and strategies for the classroom, which can be presented by administrators, other faculty members, or guest presenters.  For example, today we learned about the school's new behavior management system.  The system creates common expectations and standards for behavior throughout the school.  The PD was beneficial for me as I wasn't present in the spring when the system was first introduced.  PDs are scheduled throughout the year.  I have one more PD this week. 


I gathered a lot of extra accessories for my classroom over the weekend.  I have four windows in my room (the natural light is nice) that let a little too much light in when trying to view the projector screen, even through the mini blinds.  A fellow 5th grade teacher said I'd need curtains. Who knew that curtains were so expensive?  I couldn't find one panel for less than $12, even at Big Lots and dollar stores.  If I only needed one, or if I were buying curtains for my home it would be different;  however, for a mobile classroom, I couldn't bare the thought of paying at least $48.  Thankfully I have a generous, crafty, sewing mother (a former teacher, so she supports the cause) who said she'd make the curtains!  Now I have purple curtains for my classroom, and all the fabric cost only $9!  What a deal!  Mom also searched through her old school stuff and gave me arm loads full of posters, supplies, and decorations.  Thanks, Mom!  


Tomorrow will be more decorating, team meeting, and reading about the dreaded KTIP (Kentucky Teacher Internship Program).  KTIP...I'll have to save that discussion for another post.


Countdown: 
9 days until I meet my 27 students! (27 is the updated number)
16 days until school starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment