Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Out in the mobile

Since the school where I teach is overpopulated (a new school will be ready for the 2012-2013 school year), you can find me along with the other 5th grade teachers in the mobiles, or should I say the "Learning Cottages".  Two teachers share one mobile trailer.  I share mine with a special education teacher (I haven't met him yet).  I have my KTIP mentor on one side of me, and the 5th grade team leader on the other (talk about some great resources and a lot of help nearby-I'm set!).
I've heard the pros and cons of being in the mobiles, but I have a particular con to mine.  My "learning cottage" is infested with wasps.  Yes, wasps.  Since I first began working at school this week, I've been stung, the neighbor teacher's five year old was stung, and I've killed five wasps in my classroom.  The work order to take care of the problem is in, and I'm praying they'll get to it soon.  I don't think having wasps, and being afraid to open your classroom door, is a safe working environment (I may need to seek the counsel of my law school friends about workplace environment safety laws).


Despite the stinging insects, I've been working to transform my four walled classroom, into a welcoming, comfortable environment for twenty-eight 5th graders.  I've been dreaming of decorating my classroom for years (I always loved helping my mom with bulletin boards).  But, I didn't expect it to be such a daunting task. I'm sure I don't make it any easier on myself (indecisiveness, organization, and perfection don't always work together - "How would it look if the book shelf was in that corner, rather than that corner?").  While it's a challenge, it is definitely fun.  Here's how my classroom looked before I touched it - we'll call these the "before pictures".

I only have one day in the classroom before training meetings and the "meat" of the work actually begins.  After another trip to Walmart, Target, and every bargain/dollar store along the way, I'll be ready to work tomorrow - and I better work hard!

2 comments:

  1. i can't wait to see what it looks like when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am following you blog. You are going to be such a super fabulous teacher!

    ReplyDelete